Remember to stop by our old historic boatyard when visiting the Øhavets Smakkecenter. Here it smells amazing of resin, wood chips and a hint of tar.
Smakkecenteret’s Boatyard builds new smack dinghies, does repairs and maintains the Centre’s own smack dinghies. All our rental boats enter the boatyard once a year for to be refurbished. This way we ensure that all the boats are in good condition. The boatyard also functions as a working museum, since we work in the traditional way with old-school boat building craft, and the audience is welcome to come inside and have a look around. You are also welcome to ask questions and share experiences.
We work with a German boat building school, which sends its students every year to stay with us so that they can gain insight into traditional Danish boat building.
We have recently built a copy of a two-smack from Helnæs Bay (near Fåborg), which is now part of our sailing school.
Strynø Boatyard was originally built as a boatyard in Elsinore in 1910th It was a boatyard until 1942, when it was sold to Carl Andreas Banke, who had the building shipped to Fjellebroen in South Funen. The transport took place on the schooner Adele, which was eventually sank by a torpedo in World War II.
Boat builder Banke managed the boatyard until 1952, when he immigrated to Canada. The boatyard passed on to Oluf Andersen, who ran it until 1999, when he died.
In 2000 the building was once again separated and transported to Strynø where it became a boatyard for the third time.
One curious fact worth mentioning is that boat builder Banke’s three sons, who are about 60 years old today and live in Canada, visited their childhood boatyard in April 2006. All three of them were very touched to see their father’s boatyard where they used to play as very little before immigrating to Canada.
Strynø Boatyard makes new smack dinghies from wood in the traditional way.
We build only for our own use and for presentation purposes.